One of things I have learned from many of the natural hair care sites out there is that having a hair care regimen is important to maintaining the health of your scalp and hair, which in turn will give you a moisturized and growing mane.
These days I only wash my hair (with a shampoo) about once a week. I generally co-wash (wash with a conditioner). Learn more about co-washing here. A once a week shampoo is typically what’s recommended for kinky, afro textured hair. For other types of hair a wash a bit more often is generally recommended (2-3 times per week). You can read more about washing frequency here. But as with anything, try out different techniques before you find what works for you. My regimen may not be the best fit for your mane.
So finally here are my steps to maintaining my fro:
- Shampoo once a week (Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo is my personal favorite)
- Deep condition with a hair mask immediately after shampoo (Right now I’m using Pantene Pro V Medium-Thick Intensive Restoration Treatment)
- Run my mane underneath the shower stream (like a super quick pass) to better distribute the deep conditioner
- Detangle with a wide toothed comb or my fingers (while deep conditioner is still in my hair)
- Rinse out deep conditioner
- Use a leave in conditioner (Currently, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner and Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner)
- Style with Eco Styler Gel or a styling cream by raking through product then scrunching it in (with my hands)
It may sound like a lot at first but once you get practice doing it, you’ll have your own regimen down sooner than you know it. Two other days in the week I’ll co-wash with the Tresemme Naturals Conditioner then apply my styler. Read more about co-washing here.
Hope this helps!